All you need is 5 minutes to make this ridiculously easy microwave asparagus recipe. Let see how to steam asparagus in the microwave step by step. A great appetizer or sides with grilled meat or tofu.
We often like to cook without spending much time in the kitchen, and this microwaved asparagus is just one of them.
The post contains helpful tips and tricks to make a successful recipe on your first attempt. Please use the link above to jump to the recipe card at the end if you want to skip.
Jump To Recipe
Why you will love this recipe
- Perfect fit in diet- It is a great low carb, fiber-rich recipe to enjoy. Asparagus comes with loads of nutrition but fewer calories, just 20 calories in 90 grams. You can check the health benefits of asparagus and include them in your diet while in season. It easily fits in macros and a perfect option for eating your veggies.
- I use less olive oil to make this. You need just enough oil as it works as an emulsifier and helps in sticking seasoning.
- Easy & delicious- Isn't great that all it takes 5 minutes from start to finish to make it. Requires easy clean-up & preparation. One of the best way to cook asparagus in less time with minimal ingredients.
- Try this once so that you know how easy to cook it in microwave as compared to any other cooking method. Another ridiculously easy roasted asparagus recipe to check on.
- Seasonal- Being a seasonal veggie you can use it in making pesto, summer salad, pasta, or serve with salsa. Did you try it with mushroom? Check my sauteed asparagus and mushroom for more deliciousness.
Ingredients & Notes
Please check the recipe card for full ingredient list and measurements
Other than asparagus you need water, salt, olive oil, and garlic powder to make it.
For variations, you can use garlic butter, onion powder, lemon juice, vinegar, and black pepper.
How to cook asparagus in microwave
This version shows how do you steam asparagus in the microwave without a steamer quickly. So let see how to steam cook step by step.
How to chose
Asparagus are chosen based on three factors, size, color & texture. Always prefer pencil size spears, bigger ones are fibrous and has more woody part. The Woody part does not taste good and is very chewy and fibrous.
Light and bright green color is the perfect one, as they are the ones which are sweet in taste, soft yet firm in texture. To use big-size asparagus, just peel the outer skin and discard the woody parts.
How to clean
Cleaning asparagus is easy. Wash in clean water to avoid mud particles and shake it gently. You do not need to pat dry these cleaned asparagus. Excess water helps in cooking while placing it in the microwave.
You can soak them in water for 5 min if they are very dirty.
This tall veggie comes with some woody parts which you may not enjoy. They are more chewy and fibrous. It should be removed before cooking.
Just find the line on the spear where the white and woody part starts. Snap this part or cut it. Asparagus is a soft veggie, even bending it will help in snapping the woody part.
Take a microwave-safe bowl or glass container. If they are not fitting in the container then feel free to cut them into smaller pieces. Layer them in a microwavable container and do not overcrowd.
Add 1 teaspoon water, cover the lid, and microwave it for 3-4 minutes. 3 minutes is good enough to get a soft and crisp texture, you can cook an extra minute to get softer, mushy, and moist asparagus.
Be careful while opening the lid, as hot steam will escape. You do not want to hurt yourself.
Season & serve
Once cooking is over, add garlic powder, kosher salt, olive oil, and lime juice. At this time you can add onion powder or freshly ground black pepper or red chili flakes as well. Enjoy this microwave asparagus with olive oil as a salad or side dish.
FAQ's & tips
- Trim the woody part before steaming. Cleaning and rinsing are just like any other vegetable.
- Cleaning the tip is very important to avoid mud particles. I noticed mud particles coming in my mouth if not washed properly.
Medium and thin stems are great for cooking in the microwave and take 3-4 minutes. Thicker stems may take 1-2 minutes extra to cook further.
Yes, you can steam cook frozen asparagus in the microwave. Do not need to thaw or add water before placing it in the microwave. Just transfer frozen asparagus to the microwavable dish and cook for 1 min and then 20-second intervals until you get the desired soft texture.
Please note microwaved frozen asparagus would be softer and mushy in texture.
Garlic, onion, salt, lemon juice & olive oil is the best seasoning to use for steamed asparagus. You can use garlic & onion fresh or in powder form. This combination works on roasted asparagus as well.
How to serve
Seasoning with olive oil, salt, red chili flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder are some of the ways to garnish and serve. You can serve these with fresh tomato salsa, and sour cream dip as well.
What goes well with steamed asparagus?
Steam cook asparagus makes a perfect side dish, you can add them in a salad, pasta, buddha bowl, or in cold salad bowls. Serving with tomato salsa also takes it to another flavor profile.
Steamed asparagus makes a perfect side with mashed potato, grilled meat, grilled tofu, risotto are some more ways to serve with it.
How to store
Store any leftover cooked asparagus in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can microwave them for 30 seconds before consuming them further.
More low-carb recipes
You may like a few more asparagus recipes as below.
If you like this perfect low-carb snack then do check out other recipes as below.
How To Microwave Asparagus
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil you can use any oil of your choice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt I used kosher salt.
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Wash in clean water to avoid mud particle and shake it gently.1 lb fresh asparagus
- Find the line on the spear where the white and woody part starts. Snap this part or cut it. Asparagus is a soft veggie, even bending it will help in snapping the woody part.1 lb fresh asparagus
- Take a microwave-safe bowl or glass container. Layer them in a microwavable container and do not overcrowd them. Add 1 tablespoon water, cover the lid, and microwave it for 3-4 minutes.1 lb fresh asparagus, 1 tablespoon water
- Once cooking is over, add garlic powder, kosher salt, olive oil, and lime juice. At this time you can add onion powder or freshly ground black pepper or red chili flakes as well. Enjoy this as a salad or side dish.½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Trim the woody part before steaming. Cleaning and rinsing are just like any other cooking process.
- Cleaning the tip is very important to avoid mud particles.